Translate

BETRAYED







BETRAYED

I was lonely at school.  It was a large school.  I didn’t know anyone until I finally met a girl on the school bus who lived down the street.
          Mom started Beauty School.  One night she didn’t come home from school.  Deryl cooked supper.  We ate and cleaned up.  Deryl was very quiet as we washed dishes.  I knew we were both wondering if she was with Ed.
          Mom had promised me she would no longer have anything to do with Ed. A few nights later my new friend and I went to a carnival not far from our house.  I couldn’t believe my eyes.  Mom was there with “Ed”! I felt betrayed.
          I had over heard Mom and Aunt Ruby talking about Ed. (Aunt Ruby and Uncle Bernard had moved to Aztec, ten miles from Farmington.)  Mom thought he might have been involved in something illegal.  When they realized I was listening they shut up.  I just knew this man was dangerous!  He had caused so much chaos in our lives!
       I couldn’t believe she was with him.  And Deryl was at home waiting for her! I was so angry!  I left the carnival.  She never saw me.

                   Of course…I never told Deryl.