Translate

ARE YOU SAVED?

        Junior Year 1959-1960


 The April afternoon was warm and sunny: without a breeze.  My feet shuffled toward the street where we were living in Farmington
.

          “Are you saved?”  The thought came with such force it was almost as if someone had spoken audibly.


          The thought was penetrating. I didn’t even stop to wonder where it had come from. My feet slowed. It was as if nothing else existed except this question and me.


          “Was I saved?” I knew it was a spiritual question. As I walked I reasoned back to the question. “I’m Methodist. I’ve been sprinkled in church. I’m a good kid. I don’t drink or smoke.     I continued to defend myself … You should see my friends! I don’t do the things they do! 


          “You must be born again and it is a straight and narrow way.”


          The thought was penetrating and exact, just as the question had been. 

    I knew I wasn’t born again and I knew I wasn’t on a straight and narrow way. Even though I didn’t know how to be born again and how to get on the straight and narrow way, I instinctively knew it would be a complete change of my life.   I wanted to control my own life. I remember thinking, maybe when I’m older; I’m too young now.

          Years later I would realize that the Lord was speaking to me. He was trying to answer the prayers I had been praying. He was trying to find a way into our chaos.  He was knocking on my hearts door.  Thank God through the years He kept knocking.